She made it!! There were a few delays and she arrived 17 hours later than what was planned. She missed her connection from Paris, and as a result was re-routed thru Dubai.
Needless to say, everyone was happy when she made it home!! The kids kept saying 'nana', 'nana', and trying to tell her things! Their eyes lit up when they saw her (hers did too!)! I was happy to see here. Even Manjula was happy to meet my mom.
The first full day was yesterday (Thursday), she was adjusting to jet-lag coupled with the 17-hour delay!! Today, she is doing better. One of the tasks that we had for my mom was to teach Manjula how to make Gujarati food. So, everyone had their list of things for my mom to teach her..... the first items they made together - Gujarati Dal, Green Beans shak (mira's favorite), and most importantly - Roti!! Don't get me wrong, Manjula's food is great. But it definitely has the 'south Indian' flair. And her Roti's.... well lets just say I can make better Roti's than her. And many of you very well know, my roti skills are not exercised very often. Anyways, Manjula would make rotis that are very large, and always very chewy. For us, we recognized that they were not 'the best' but hey, they were made, and ready so we ate them. My mom had tried Manjula's Roti's the first day she arrived. The first thing that my mom said - she did not put oil when making the dough - she pin-pointed the problem!! It is all of her roti experience! Anyways, yesterday, my mom taught her how to make them and ohhhhhh myyyyyy god! They were scrumptious!! Soft, melt in your mouth, rotis!! Hopefully Manjula can replicate when she is on her own!! Who knew there was such an art to making rotis???
Anyways, enough about the rotis..... This weekend we will be hanging out with my mom. It will be nice!!
Oh.... got to add something here. So, most of you asked 'what is the work attire at GM'. Well for men it is simple and similar to back at home. However, the ladies almost all of them where Indian suits (chudi-dhar, or salwar kameez). So, the big question is... what does Dev wear? Right? My usual work attire back at home is slacks, blouses/sweaters and sometimes blazers. Pretty standard. Well since being here, I did not think that I should change. So I continued on my usual path. Well, this past Tuesday GM India was celebrating the 100th year anniversary. As part of the celebration they had all different activities going on. One activity, they asked the entire organization to dress is ethnic clothing. OK... so this was my big chance.... I could cross the line and wear Indian.... should I? shouldn't I? Oh, such a dilemma.... What do you think that I did? ......... Yep, I did it.... I wore Indian!! And, I think that I will do it again..... It was pretty darn comfortable. I just could not get the 'odhni or scarf' to behave. Here all the ladies just gracefully let it drape over their shoulders without any pins holding it in place. I felt like I was fiddling with this thing all day!! Maybe the more I wear them, the better I will get at it!! I will keep you posted!!
Thats all for now!!
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I wonder if they leave the oil out because its so expensive?
Post a Comment