Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Trendy Beggar....

Post By Vim;

My journey to work today took a twist.  We are used to beggars of all ages approach you requesting money for food/water – some mostly kids perform body bending acts while traffic is at a halt, that is, kids as young as Milan.  Note that beggars will only accept money – if you offer them food/water most of them generally walk away!  Yes this is India – there are true under tones to ‘Slumdog Millionaire’.     

But today, I had to be dropped off from walking distance to the entrance of Cisco – due to road work.  Walking towards the gate I was approached by a few kids begging for money, once they were brushed off, I was literally stopped by a women.  Now this had happened to Mira and I before when we walked to the mall – the exact same thing, it was truly freakish – Déjà-vu

A few posts back I uploaded a YouTube Video titled “Home: USA or India…Attraction of Soft Power”.  One point out of that post was India’s advancement in the Telecoms industry.  Today, India’s vast underclass is almost as well connected as the rich in what is hailed as a telecoms revolution that has delivered G3/G4 mobile telephony to nearly 800 million people in just a little over a decade.  Worthy note – the underclass to upper class seem to want the latest technology on Cell Phones these days.  

Now, back to the truly freakish Déjà-vu, I was approached by a young female street beggar, holding, a half dressed dirt covered small child.  The Beggar extended her hand out asking for money and then pointing to the child repeatedly.  I actually noticed the other hand in which she propped up the child, she was holding a fancy touch screen cell phone – an expensive item.  I looked at her and automatically noticed a blue tooth ear piece blinking away, being hidden by her Sari Vail over her head – stunned and shaking my head, I proceeded to walk into work.  It makes you wonder where the money really goes they collect and how does this class of people in India afford a cell phone like that.   This is India for you.

No comments: