Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Brothers and Sisters... Sibling Love or Sibling Rivalry?

Now that Mira is almost 9 (I know... where did the time go!) and Milan is 5 going on 15.... It is interesting to see their dynamics as brother and sister.

I think that they fit the 'typical' model of a brother and sister relationship. You know, loving, caring and completely dedicated to ensure that the other is happy.... NOT!!!!!

They are the exact opposite! Milan is really a little cheeky-monkey and crafty-guy who knows just how to push her buttons. He can get Mira so wound up and she is bursting into tears screaming because he is 'frustrating' her. And you look over at him and he has this look on his face... a smirky-grin (toothless grin!), and he is thinking 'yup, I did that!'. It is really entertaining to watch... I try to get Milan to stop, he does for a minute or two, and then he is quickly back on the mission to annoy the older sister. I think part of it is personalities, Mira does tend to get more wound up over things (brother-instigated, or otherwise), and Milan just does not care about much. OK... take that back... he cares a lot about his puppy!

Anyways... this begs the question... is the dynamics that we are seeing in Mira and Milan due to their personalities or is it because Brothers are always looking for ways to irritate their sisters??? Personally (from personal experience) strongly believe that it is the latter!! I have my own stories of being tormented by my brother..... And have heard of many other 'brothers-tormenting their sisters' stories. So when does it end.... when can we expect some peace between Mira and Milan? I am thinking... it will probably get worse before it gets better. Until then, I will sit with my bowl of popcorn and enjoy the entertainment!! Just kidding! I will try to do my best to parent thru this, but you all have to understand, I am trying fight the behaviour of brothers bugging their sisters for the fun of it! Is there any hope??

3 comments:

sjp123 said...

My personal experience is that it will swing the other way at some point. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm 28 and still waiting for my brother to stop tormenting me:(

Our Family Update said...

ok