Sunday, June 7, 2009

11 Months....

Almost a year.... WOW!!

Having been here for 11 months, in one respect it feels like we just got here, and in another, it feels like forever.

Living in our 'bubble' of a lifestyle (I will write another post just about the 'bubble'), we are really sheltered from 'true-India' living. So when we do venture out it still causes amazement (or frustration). Actually I think that 3 out of the 4 of us are less-amazed... we have come to accept it for what it is.... but Vim (the 1 out of the 4) on the other hand just tends to really get wound up.

Here are some of the things he gets wound up about:

Driving... the lack of 'process' or just the sheer madness
Driving... the people on the motor cycles that just randomly cut in where ever they can
Driving... the cars on the road that overloaded with people, kids in front seats on laps, people in the back doubled up
Driving... the family of 4 or 5 all riding on one scooter
Out and about... the lack of 'process' or 'purpose' for the things that are done - this can be the random security checks that serve zero purpose, or the traffic cop on the corner that is doing nothing to control the traffic
Out and about... the people walking on the street because there are no sidewalks

The list can go on and on...

I suppose being a foreigner in their country, we have two choices... accept it, or think that we are going to change it... personally I will take the path of least resistance here... because personally, I don't think that I can change a country of over a billion people that are truly content functioning they way they are... Vim on the other hand will try to change them, and get frustrated because they simply do not want to change.

No comments: