Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Monsoon Rains

Yes, the monsoon rains have started. Now before we get into the details, the general comments regarding the 'rains in Bangalore' is that they are 'well behaved'. Well Behaved? What does that mean?? Really? Well, now that we have been here almost a year, I can tell, I know exactly what that means..... Rains are typically of short duration, and they occur late afternoon/evening. Simply put, there are no complete wash-out days where it rains all day. So that being said, I suppose 'well-behaved' is a fitting term.

Now on to Monsoons... Yes, the monsoon rains have started. I happened to catch a bit of a news clip on BBC the other day that went into some detail on the Monsoons. Essentially the monsoon rains are a result of the land temperature increasing and the ocean temps being cooler. The differential in the temps causes a high pressure system (or maybe it is a low pressure system - some meteorological savvy person can clarify...) which then becomes the onset of the rains. The rains typically start at the south east portion of India and work their way westward. Once they pass thru India, they then 'retreat' so in the retreat pattern, we will get another wave of rains. This is typically in Sept/Oct.

So, do we mind the rains? No, since they are 'well behaved'. And more importantly, they really cool things off. The mornings after a nice rain are so cool and breezy and the air is so fresh!!

No comments: