In efforts to keep Mira busy over the summer, we decided to sign her up for some Indian dance lessons. Instead of going for the traditional style, we decided to do some 'Bollywood' Dance Lessons. Yes, there is such a thing. Being summer, there were not many group classes in session, so I decided to opt for some private classes.
First, I put the feelers out using the Ozone Yahoo groups to see who was out there. Using the yahoo group is the way to find things out in the bubble. OK, the yahoo group posting yielded 4 leads. Off I went. The first guy's name was Guru. As I dialed the number, I realized that he had a song playing while the phone was ringing. It started something like this, 'I am a discooo daaannncccceerrrrrr - paa pa ra'. This is a jingle from an Indian song, some of you may know it!!! OK, I almost started laughing when I heard this!! This was 'his' tune!! OK, decided to look past the 'tune' and actually give him a try.
He came over for an initial meeting, seemed OK. Then we made arrangements to actually start the lessons. He canceled on a few appointments so I was starting to get a little irritated with my 'disco dancer'. Finally he shows up. Mira had a song in mind and we decided to start with it. Let me tell ya, when Guru 'the disco dancer' busted out his moves... I was digging it!!! The boy has some serious rhythm. This is much better than the 'cheesy bollywood dancing' you see in the movies, he was really GOOD! He started teaching Mira and I was just admiring his rhythm. Secretly maybe I was a bit jealous that he had more rhythm than me... OK, we all know that is not too hard!!
Then I started asking him about different songs to see if he could teach a dance to them... so I started playing them off in my Zune and off he went.... boogie-ing away... and I was really in awe... I kept switching do different songs, and telling him, OK now dance to his one... I kept switching, and he kept dancing. It was really amazing.
I wanted to start dancing and pretend that I was as good as him, his dancing was somewhat infectious... for a moment, I thought that I could actually dance as well as him. Fortunately for me, I saved myself the embarrassment and just sat there!!!
Now we have only had one lesson from Guru, and since then, he has been canceling out appointments at the last minute. Sadly I may have to give Guru the boot if he does not stick to the appointments...
If Guru actually shows up regularly, maybe I may pick up a few moves from him.... hmmmm!!!
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment