Thursday, July 31, 2008

Animals, Ovens and Late Dinners....

Animals... there are animals everywhere in India. Come on, there are cows and dogs on the road sometimes sprinkled in the mix of traffic. We are experiencing all the different animals, there was a monkey hanging out in the park across our house. There are lizards and cockroaches that come into the house. I have not seen any in our house but according to Mira and Vim, they have spotted both!! We have had our house treated with 'pest control' so hopefully the visits from the creepy crawling things inside our house is no longer going to happen!! So far no encounters with any truly dangerous animals... like a cobra or tiger! If we do, we will let ya know! Hey, its India, anything is possible.

Ovens... I took it for granted that ovens are a standard item in houses. I even packed cake and brownie mixes in our sea shipment. It was a bit of a disappointment that there was not an oven in our house!! No Oven!! Really? No big deal, we will buy one (and expense iy, of course). Not so easy... full size ovens are not readily available!! Went to several stores, nothing... they have an oven that is about 30% bigger than a toaster oven that they tried to tell me was a full size oven!! We will keep looking. Otherwise, one of our neighbors has one, it won't be hard to cut a deal... let us use your oven, and we will give you some brownies or a cupcake!! Not a bad trade, right?

Late Dinners.... Here dinner is after 8 and sometimes 9! After 9 for dinner.... really? Back at home, there were some nights that I was fast asleep after 9!! We would eat dinner by 6 back at home. Here we are stretching it to 7. The funny thing is if we are going out to dinner, they don't serve dinner until after 7pm. We have been to several places where we are the first to get there (right at 7) and when we are done with our meal, and ready to pay, the crowds start filling in. I guess we can be sure our food is fresh, right??

That is all I have to share today.

We are off to Mysore tomorrow. Our first road trip. I will post when we come back. Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: