Thursday, July 10, 2008

First Day of Work and First Look at the House!!

We will start with work first. Today was the first day, surprisingly it went well. I spent the most of the day trying to get ID badges, computers, and learn my way around the building. From the outside it looks really modern, but inside there are some weird things. Example, some of the elevators only stop on some of the floors. There are parts of the building where the stairs to not go to all the floors (ex going from the 2nd fl to 3rd fl can not be done in a certain part of the building). I am really not sure how that happens. I just took someones word for it, maybe one day I will go exploring. At GM India the ID badge is key to move around the building. You can not get in our out of you area without your badge. Even to go the bathroom you need your badge. Back at home there were several times that I had forgotten my badge and I was able to manage. Here in India, I think that if I get to work and do not have my badge, it is best to just turn around, go back home and get it!! All in all the first day was good. I still have yet to meet all the people on my team. I think that it will take some time.

After work, we went to see the house!!! This was the long awaited walk-thru!! And..... we were pleased!! The house is very nice. There are a few minor things that need to be addressed prior to us moving in. One is a deep-clean that passes Vim's quality standards.

In the house there was a struggle over the master bedroom. I must have told Mira that she could pick her room. And well, she picked the biggest room. It took a little negotiating, but we were able to get the master room for us!!! Unfortunately we did not have our camera to share pictures. However I think that it will be better to show pictures when we move in some of our things.

We are still targeting moving in this weekend.

Milan made friends with the neighbor that has a cool dune-buggy type car. He was not shy to make friends and take the car for a spin. Again, I am sure there will be photos to come!

My next post will be about the food here in Bangalore. One word..... yum!

All the best!

PS please send email updates on what is going on back home. What is the latest news, gossip? Store closings, Openings (is Taco Bell on Roch Road open??)?? Construction?? Anything!!!

No comments: