Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Random stuff.... Pedicure, Tea and BO

This post is going to cover several unrelated topics, all were noteworthy and I did not want to forget them, so here they are:

Pedicure:
Summers back home were times when the toe nails were tended to more closely. With the sandals and flip-flops, I was more aware of the 'state-of-my-toes'. This usually led to more visits to get a pedicure. Now being in India my toes are exposed more, and will be so all year round. In addition the marble floors were leading to 'cracked-heels'. To sum it up.... I was in desperate need of a pedicure. So this past Sunday, Mira and I were off to search for a suitable place. I started off at the Spa in our housing complex - it was a little pricey, and they did not have any openings. OK, off to another place. Now we went to Palm Meadows (the same place where we stayed before we moved into the house). They had openings so both Mira and I decided to go for it. IT WAS AWESOME!! They sloughed off so much dead skin, I think my feet shrunk at least one size (OK, maybe not). Anyway, the true pleasure came when it was time to pay. We had 2 pedicures - and they cost......$10..... FOR BOTH OF US!!! Can you believe it!! With prices like this, I can justify a weekly trip to tend to my toes!

TEA:
Another bargain that I just discovered at work. The other day I was in a meeting with some colleagues and we decided it was time for a coffee break. I was ready to head to the vending machine, the usual place that I go, its not great, not bad, but its free. Well, they led me away from the vending machine and to another place. We had to walk down this hallway, and make a few turns... but soon, I could smell it. It was chai 'Indian tea'! There were 2 guys making chai and coffee in a little 'kitchen' area. The tea was really good 'masala chai'. You could smell that it had been brewing for some time. I indulged in a cup, it was great!! Now it was not free like the vending machine. It cost a whole 4 rupees... that converts to 10 cents!! Bring it on!!

OK, the best for last.... BO.
I was going to post about this earlier but I thought that it might be offensive and insensitive. But as I go on at work, I see that I need to go there. Now, BO is Body Odor. Most Indians are aware that BO is highly prevalent in Indian people. Well, on one of my first few days at work, I had a 'office boy' come to my desk to move computers and things around. He came in and the 'smell' filled my area. It was so strong that my eyes started to tear up (really). Then he left (and I stopped holding my breath), but unfortunately the stench lingered. Now, I did not think much about it b/c he was an office boy. I figured he did not earn much. Maybe he did not have access to running water. I cut him some slack. Now more recently, I was in an all day work shop with some my peers. Again, I was bombarded with the BO. It was coming from multiple directions. Now these people are all educated, earning people. I don't think that I can cut them any slack. So anyways, this got me thinking.... why? Why is BO more prevalent in Indians? I am going to throw something out there.... It is really a function of personal hygiene? Or is it a resultant of the food/diet? Maybe the turmeric collides with the yogurt yielding to it?? I think that someone should research this... maybe it could be a good research project for someone in college! Until then, I will bring floral lotion and perfume and help counteract the negative odors!!

No comments: