Monday, August 25, 2008

The Water

I thought that I would post about the water here in India. Now, if any of you have been to Mexico, or anywhere like that, you know about the warnings 'don't drink the water'. Well the same goes for India.

On Sunday when we had our friends over for dinner, we were chatting during dinner. Our guests were Nick and Jen from Australia, and Scott from Michigan (all are 'white', or should I say non-Indian). All of them had stories of when and where they have gotten really sick. The topic of 'the water' came up. Now, since they all have had experiences of getting really sick, they are very cautious (or maybe too cautious) when it come to the water. Anyways, Scott proceeds to tell us they he does not drink anything but bottled water. He brushes his teeth with bottled water, and washes his fruits and vegs with bottled water too! Then, Jen says that she does the same. Then they both say, yes, we only cook with bottled water too!! Even when boiling pasta. OK, now if you were paying attention, you would know that I had served pasta for dinner (see previous post). Did I cook my pasta with boiled water? Nope!! I used straight up, tap water!!! So far none of them have told me that they got sick from my dinner.... it is probably better that they don't know about the little secret!!

So, the question is.... do Indians have a more resilient digestive track that can handle the water? Maybe it is the spicy food that helps?? Who knows...

Knock on wood, none of us have gotten really sick.... I had my little issues within the first few weeks but it quickly passed. So far the rest of the family is doing fine.... Lets hope it stays that way!!

No comments: