Friday, October 17, 2008

Faith

People here in India, and more so in the south are very religous. I noticed that early in to our move here. There are temples everywhere.... some are big and elaborate, others are very small and sometimes on the corner of a busy intersection. No matter where they are, they are frequented... often! At work I will see many people with the 'kukum' on their forehead (usually done as part of prayer).

The other thing... when I have paid the driver, maid, massage lady, service people, etc... you will see them take the money and put it in their hands in payer position, and bring it to their chest and head. They will whispers a few words of gratitude for the reciept of the money.

It is really impressive to see people so dedicated to their faith. I really believe that it gives them the peace and comfort to go about their day. People are pretty level headed and even tempered here.

I think that there is a lot to be learned about the approach to religion here in the India!!

My dear friend George Micheal summed it up really well - 'you gotta have faith'!

1 comment:

Bridget Rockstar!! said...

Did you hear about the anti-christian violence that has been going on?
It is almost sad when people care too much!!