Monday, October 6, 2008

Re-Cap From the Trip Back Home

Family!!

Mira and Heenal

With Jadu Bapa at Apnaghar

Mira with a friend that she made

Milan with a friend

Temple in Bhuj

Temple in Bhuj

Mira and Milan with their Great Grandfather - Priceless

Temple in Kera

Temple in Kera

Old Temple in Kera

With Bapa

Mira with her friends

Family

Streets of Madhapur

Streets of Madhapur

Streets of Madhapur

Hanging with Jadu Bapa

Off on a scooter ride
This post will be all about our trip back to Madhapur, my dads hometown.




Madhapur is in the area of Kutch. It is a semi-dessert area, very dry and very HOT! We arrived on Tuesday afternoon at the peak of the heat. There were some of that were more tolerant of the heat than others.... can you guess who was melting in the heat???

We arrived at my Uncle's house (my dad's younger brother). He has built a house in the same exact spot where my Grandfathers house was (tore it down and re-built). It was wierd because as I walked in, I remembered when I was at the house when it was my Grandfathers house. The streets of Madhapur were bare at 2 in the afternoon, not a sole to be found, and all the shops had their metal-roll-up doors closed. Yes, in the middle of the afternoon... why, you may ask? It is nap time!! The town comes to a stand still between the hours of 1 and 4pm! Literally everyone goes home for lunch and catches a nap..... ohhhh yeahhhhh, nap time!! And there is no guilt associated with it... it is actually strongly encouraged! Bring it on!!

Madhapur is small Indian village - very sterotypical. The majority of the population is old retirees that go back to their roots when they retire. It is actually very interesting to see the older generation really enjoy what living in Madhapur has to offer. The small streets with old ladies sitting on the outside bench/porch watching the people go by and catching up on the daily gossip. The crowds heading to the temple during the prayer times. The rush to the market to get the freshly picked produce. The evening crowd gathering at the 'grounds' for an evening walk. There is a routine pattern that people settle into that I think is very comforting and therapeutic. Even the very elderly are happy and content with their life. Most are able to care for themselves even in their old age. I was really amazed with that. Maybe it is because of the small community feel and people connection that they get? Maybe it is hot arid heat? Maybe it is the daily naps? Whatever it is, the older generation seem to thrive there. So, that begged the question.... as Vim and I were walking the streets of town with my aunt, I asked..... do you think you could ever live here? He paused.... and said 'yeah'. The bigger question is do I think that I could live there.....????

No trip to Madhapur is complete without a trip to Bhuj. This is the larger adjacent town. Now, the last time that I was there (13 years ago), there was nothing in between Bhuj and Madapur. It was clear where one town ended and the other began becasue there was nothing in between. That has now changed. In the 10 KM distance, between the 2, it is all filled in. Shopping was great..... 5 saris, 8-10 suits, and 8-10 kurtis.....I was in heaven!! Who needs Ann Taylor... I got my shopping fix with Indian clothes..... It was great!! I could have kept going but my Mom cut me off!!

My dad's brother is a trustee at an home for disabled children. Mira and Milan went with him to see the place. They were so moved by all the kids that were there. They all had some disability and living at this home because their parents could not take care of them. It was really nice to see all of the kids face light up when they saw my uncle. You could immediately see in their eyes the joy when they saw him.

While Mira was there she made a friend, her name is Ramila. She will write a post about her.

My dad's younger sister also lives in Madhapur. It was nice to see them as well. And one of the days that we were there, we went to my Mom's home town, Kera. It is about 25 KMS away. My mom's dad lives there. Again, like Madhapur, it has the quaint small town feel. My grandfather is really happy there. He is close to 80 and his health is great.... there is something to be said for that 'village living' lifestyle.

At the end of the trip I was ready to come home.... and the funny thing.... I was picturing our home in Bangalore. That really hit the point that Bangalore now feels like home!!

I have posted some of the pictures from the trip. There is still more to post about... but it will wait for another day...

No comments: