Wednesday, August 20, 2008

School Update

We are now into week number 2 at school. I thought that I would write a little bit about how it is going.

All in all, they are enjoying school. They both have made friends, and like their teachers. Milan's teachers names - Dipti and Archana, Mira's teachers - Priya and Richa.

The bus picks them up at 7:50, they get to school at 8:30. The morning starts with breakfast, then off to class. Mira's schedule is more rigorous. Swimming, yoga, dance, soccer and piano - all are one day a week. And the academics are squeezed in between. The hard thing is remembering what she has on what day. Mira was able to make choices for some of her activities. Swimming and yoga were mandatory. For her sport, she could have picked from badminton, basketball, gymnastics, swimming, cricket or soccer. Yes, she made Vim proud by picking soccer. She is the only girl!! Either she will get really good at soccer or she will become a tom-boy! For her musical instrument she could have picked sitar, or piano (there other choices but I forgot them....). Anyways, she picked Piano. It was all the pleasant memories from when she took lessons from Ms. Fisher. It would have been cool if she picked Sitar. The last choice that she had to make - Karate or Dance. We picked dance (I think if we left it up to her it would have been karate). We did not want her to totally become a tom-boy!! We had to help balance it out. The dance is traditional classical Indian dance (bharatnatayam). She is enjoying. She was showing me some of her 'positions' today.

Milan has swimming 2 days a week and yoga one day a week. No other sports or activities for him this year. I think that he gets to enjoy most of his day. Compared to all that Mira squeezes into her day, I am wondering what Milan does all day!!

The good part is that they come home and they are exhausted by 8pm!!

The other good thing about school here is that we don't have to pack lunches!! They both eat the school food. There were many days that Milan came home so excited to tell me what he had for lunch. He said he 'loved it'!! They have a big variety so I am sure that they will find something that they like!

As soon as they get off the bus, they run into the house and change their clothes and they are off. Both of them hop on their bikes and head off. They both go their separate ways meeting up with their Friends. Our housing complex has a huge open play area right outside our house. The kids hang out around there. Milan has his friends that he goes to play with. He is off roaming around meeting with his friends. The sad part is that I can't keep track of all of his friends!! I don't know who they are or where they live!! The important thing is that he can keep track!! The other day he was off socializing and we had to go look for him!! Mira has a few friends that she hangs out with. We usually know where to find her.

The good part is that they have made friends in school and near the house. This has really helped with the adjustment!!

In my next post I will write about our house and the housing complex.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dev, Vim, Mira and Milan! I love reading your blogs! It sounds like you are all having such a wonderful "adventure!" Mira- I am happy that you are taking piano at school, but I wish that I was your teacher! :) Hugs for Mira and Milan! I miss you guys!

Love,
Mrs. Fisher

Our Family Update said...

Hi Mrs. Fisher!! So nice to hear from you!! Mira and Milan think of you often!! Milan got a big stuffed dog from some friends here. Guess what he named the dog? Molly!! Take care and tell Luke we say hi!!

Dev